A few weeks ago, The Girl Who Thinks She’s A Bird and I were flipping through cookbooks in search of different cookies to make for this years cookie party. When we came across this recipe for Chocolate Crackles, it stopped us in our tracks. And honestly, any recipe that calls for a 1/2 lb of melted chocolate… deserves some serious consideration.
So we made them. And we loved them. In fact The Girl loved them so much, that she put them on “The List” for her annual cookie party (which is right around the corner). If you have not tried this recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies yet, you should. They are divine.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for rolling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Chop bittersweet chocolate into small bits, and melt over medium heat in a heat-proof bowl or the top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and light-brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add melted chocolate. With mixer on low-speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until just combined. Divide the dough into quarters, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 2 hours.
- On a clean countertop, roll each portion of dough into a log approximately 16 inches long and 1 inch in diameter, using confectioners’ sugar to prevent sticking. Wrap logs in plastic wrap, and transfer to a baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes. Cut each log into 1-inch pieces, and toss in confectioners’ sugar, a few at a time. Using your hands, roll the pieces into a ball shape. If any of the cocoa-colored dough is visible, roll dough in confectioners’ sugar again to coat completely. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on a Silpat-lined baking sheet. Bake until cookies have flattened and the sugar splits, 12 to minutes.
- Transfer from oven to a wire rack to let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe Credit: Martha Stewart’s Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share (Martha Stewart Living Magazine)