With the increase of online shopping comes a LOT more packages on front porches. That gives jerkface criminal robbers more of an opportunity than ever before to swipe packages. There are few things that make me crazier than stealing, and snatching packages meant as Christmas presents is the worst Grinch move of them all! In order to avoid being a victim this time of year, here are some helpful tips:
1. Track deliveries online and confirm delivery has occurred. You can sign up for email notifications from FedEx, UPS, and Amazon to track your package from initial shipment to its arrival at your home, or the recipient’s address if you have the gift delivered directly.
2. Ask neighbors who are home during the day to watch for deliveries. Reward them with fresh baked cookies.
3. Switch delivery location to work or a place it can be received by someone and not left on the porch.
4. See if the post office or store the product is being shipped from can hold the package for pick up.
5. Provide specific delivery instructions, so packages are placed out of sight.
6. Insure your packages.
7. Keep an eye out for suspicious vehicles. Some thieves will simply shadow deliver drivers and go from house to house stealing newly delivered packages.
8. Put up a security system sign and/or use security cameras!
9. When shipping packages, take them to the post office instead of leaving them outside your home for pick up.
10. Let the person you are sending the package to know to expect the package.
Here’s hoping none of your packages are grabbed by a Grinch this holiday season!