Need a Saturday afternoon activity for the kids? How about whipping up some homemade play dough? The way I see it, it’s like two activities in one. They can help you make it, then they can play with it.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add flour, cream of tartar and salt. Add the water and vegetable oil.
- Turn the burner on medium low and stir. It will look like lumpy waffle mix.
- It will start to firm up a bit as you stir it. This will take anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on your stove.
- As soon as it starts to firm, add the food coloring. The dough will start to really get thick and lumpy at this point. Just keep stirring.
- It will turn to a dough-like consistency and stick to the spoon in one big lump when it’s done.
- After the kids are done making homemade memories that will surely last into their adult years, store it in an airtight container just like you would store-bought play dough.