I arrived at the dentist office a little early this morning to get more work done on my crappy British teeth, and while I was there I spied the latest edition of Cooking Light magazine. This recipe for a corn and black bean salad caught my eye, so on the way home I stopped at a local produce stand and picked up some avocados and cilantro and made it for lunch.
Holy Crackers! Are you in for a treat if you make this.
I didn’t have any of the fancy peppers they suggested but I did have a jar of roasted peppers in the pantry and this salad turned out great. Try it. You’ll fall in love with it. I promise.Print
2 ears shucked corn, grilled
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 Walla Walla onion, sliced into 4 large slices
1 avocado, peeled, halved, and pitted
1 marinated roasted red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can S&W Black beans with jalapeno, rinsed and drained
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Using 2 tablespoons of olive oil, coat the corn and onion slices, add salt and pepper and grill them in a grill pan.
- Once you remove the corn from the grill, let it cool, then cut the kernels from ears of corn and place them in a large bowl.
- Chop onion, roasted pepper, and add to the bowl.
- Add remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, salt, black pepper, and black beans to the bowl and toss well.
- Cut avocado into thin slices and place on top of salad.
- Serves 2 for a main dish or 4 for a side.
Weber Grill Basket $19.99 ~ Amazon
We use a grill pan similar to this one. All. The. Time.