- 6 cups strawberries (, sliced)
- 3/4 cup sugar (, divided)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (, cut into pieces)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Thoroughly butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine strawberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch, and let mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, remaining sugar and baking powder. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or you can use your fingers until the butter is thoroughly combined. Whisk the egg and milk together before pouring over flour mixture. Stir until dough forms.
- Pour strawberry mix into prepared skillet, scraping sides of bowl. Drop batter by the spoonful on top of strawberries and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with homemade whipped cream or ice cream.