Nothing says summer like a day at the beach: the waves, the salty air, the threat of birds crapping on your head. Before you hit the sand, here’s my top 10 must-haves to make sure a day at the beach is nothing but R&R.
- Sunscreen. I know, duh, but not including it would be crazy talk.
- Drinking Water. Sitting idly on the hot beach really makes you work up a sweat, and with “water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink,” you may find yourself desperately parched.
- A Blanket. I like to bring a blanket for two reasons. One, then the towels can be used solely for drying off. Two, it’s bigger than most towels, and really allows me to establish some personal space from the people around me. It’s a stake my claim sort of deal.
- Umbrella or Shade Tent. I know, you went to the beach to soak up the rays, but too much sun is no good either. An umbrella gives you options, much like having 15 pairs of black shoes.
- Baby Powder. Yep, you read it right. Baby powder is AWESOME for post beach sand removal. It soaks up all of the moisture and allows you to brush the sand off easily.
- First Aid Kit. I pretty much carry one every where I go. It’s saved me only a handful of times, but gotten me the good neighbor award more times than I can remember.
- Entertainment. Depending on what floats your boat, bring books, magazines, footballs, frisbees, surf boards, etc. Staring idly at the waves for the whole day is only for the super zen.
- Music. I’m not one of those people who thinks the whole world wants to listen to my music, but I do like to turn it on low enough to enjoy it personally. It adds to the ambiance.
- Change of clothes. It’s funny how you can spend all day in a wet swimsuit, but when it is time to climb back into the car, it becomes super irritating. Plus, I LOVE slipping my dirty, sand laden feet into clean socks. Seriously, somehow, it makes me feel like a day well-spent.
- Snacks. I don’t know about you, but a day at the beach means red vines and sour patch kids. Not having them would be like skipping popcorn at the movie.
Do you have any beach must-haves?