Does anyone know what kind of mushrooms these are?
Are they poisonous? I spotted them this afternoon in the old potato patch. What do you think?
How I feed my family with $100 a month - gardening, frugal living, recipes - with fun along the way!
Probably goes without saying but: Don’t eat mushrooms unless professionally/properly identified. With that said…
Looks like Shaggy Mane, edible when young (before it turns dark), but doesn’t keep it must be cooked immediately after picking.
I have those a few miles from you too. I don’t have the courage to put it in my mouth, however.
Nick Duffy says
i would stay away from it till its 100% indentified. fungi perfecti helped me once with several good pics. also you can find a local expert to help as well…
This begs the question – why haven’t you started growing your own mushrooms yet? My husband and I are growing shitakes from fungi perfecti and are positively swimming in them! Great bartering with the neighbors too 🙂
How do you grow mushrooms????
I would like to know where you got your starter kit from and what was the cost?
Fungi Perfecti is a company – http://www.fungi.com and they sell indoor and outdoor kis of many different varieties.
There are lots of other cultivating companies, Cascadia Mushrooms – http://www.cascadiamushrooms.com, sells organic indoor kits and ‘outdoor spawn.’ My son and I recently made a mushroom log for next spring using their shitake mushroom plugs.
Back to the Roots has a small boxed kit, that you can buy at lots of stores like Whole Foods: http://www.bttrventures.com/ I think it’s a pretty easy way to get started.
Kits generally range from about $20-25.
I have ordered from fungi.com and have had great success with their products. 🙂
THANKS FOR THE MUSHROOM SITE BEEN WANTING TO GROW MUSHROOM FOR A LONG TIME AND I THINK THIS IS THE YEAR 😉
Sue V says
They are Shaggy Mane–very edible especially sauteed in butter! Enjoy them now! They are one of the easiest to identify so no worries about eating them.
I think that you should weigh them and count it as “grown” 🙂 It did come out of your garden…..
A good produce department that specializes in gourmet/speciality should know too.
Beth B. says
Sue is right, it is a Shaggy mane, aka Ink Cap, aka Coprinus comatus.
Awesome! I’m going to go out and check and see if it’s still there.
Elizabeth F says
I grew up with the mindset that all mushrooms are poisonous. So I don’t bother them at all. And even the known edibles, don’t like them anyways.
Those are shaggy mains…Cut those babys up cook in some butter they are the best ever! they grow spring and fall in wood chips pine needles and in the middle of dirt roads…I am envious!
Suddenly I’m hungry for homemade cream of mushroom soup! Yum!
My son was just asking for some today. We only bought one 1/2lb portobello (his request) so I don’t think it will make soup but I love that he has mushrooms on the brain.
Madam Chow says
Right on cue, woman accidentally poisons her whole family with mushrooms:
Eeeek! How do you find this stuff Madam Chow?
Frightening! We just went to a mushroom lecture last weekend and the mycologist was mentioning that accidental poisonings are most common in children and immigrants.
Interesting interview with Peter McCoy of the zine “Radical Mycology, a collaborative network of mushroom and fungal enthusiasts” (i.e. for food, medicine, environmental cleanup, … -not what you may think!), about a grassroots movement of installing “mushroom filters” in the polluted waterways of Olympia/Washington as well as Puget Sound.