I received an email last night from one hundred dollars a month reader Jenny. She is worried about her zucchini plant. Since I am not a zucchini expert, I thought maybe one of you could help.
Here is an excerpt of her email:
Unfortunately this year our zucchini harvest has slowed down. Something has started to kill off the leaves first and than travel to the base of the plant. My boyfriend took out most of the damaged/ dead or dying plant yesterday. Today I noticed that it has possibly spread…. I am totally FREAKED out! I love zucchini and will probably cry if I lose the whole thing.
Here is what I can tell you about our garden.
- This is our first year learning how and we built garden boxes.
- We filled the boxes with a mixture of top soil/ and llama manure from my parent’s house. Everything else in the garden is doing great!!
- We water enough but not too much.
- I cannot find any bug, slug or indicator of either.
- Something is really wrong with this plant……
- This is what I can see….. tiny white spots on the base. On the healthy side of the plant you cannot find a single white dot. But on the unhealthy side you can see where they are on the base of the zucchini (not sure what to call that part). They are not on the leaves.
Any ideas!?!?!?!? I would love any advice.
Jenny from Spokane, WA
This post may contain affiliate links. These affiliate links help support this site. For more information, please see my disclosure policy. Thank you for supporting One Hundred Dollars a Month.